Lachlan Shire Council is committed to a sustainable future for our community.
Council's approach to sustainability means that planning, decisions and actions aim to optimise the use of resources to maintain organisational viability, improve the environment and enhance social values and community engagement.
In Council operations we work to reduce our ecological/carbon footprint and impact on the environment and also strive to lead by example implementing projects that support sustainability in the Shire.
Council adopted its Energy Sustainability Plan in September 2020, with an aim for its electricity consumption to achieve net-zero greenhouse emissions by 2050.
In June 2021, Council completed the installation of fourteen renewable energy projects at Council owned facilities.
Council installed a total of 612kW of solar power and a 180kWh battery storage to improve resilience through the reconfiguration of the sites to incorporate renewable energy, facilitate trials in battery storage, peak demand shavings, intelligent demand response and control, provisions of electric vehicle charging, virtual power plant trials, comprehensive monitoring of real time savings, energy consumption and reduction in carbon emissions through a dedicated monitoring platform.
The renewable energy project included;
- Lake Cargelligo Water Treatment Plant – 240kW and 180kWh Battery
- Merri Abba High Lift Pump – 100kW
- Condobolin Administration Building – 45kW solar carport
- Condobolin Swimming Pool – 45kW
- Condobolin Caravan Park – 32kW
- Condobolin Sewer Treatment Plant - 20kW
- Lake Cargelligo Sewer Treatment Plant – 20kW
- 16 Mile Pump, Tullibigeal – 20kW
- Lake Cargelligo Multi Service Centre – 15kW
- Tottenham Swimming Pool – 15kW
- Tottenham Water Treatment Plant – 15kW
- Condobolin Home and Community Care – 15kW
- Condobolin Children Services – 15kW
- Condobolin Library – 15kW
The long term outcomes from the renewable energy projects are expected to deliver the following benefits;
- An annual generation of 978 MWh of renewable energy
- Council carbon footprint reduced by 792 tonnes per annum
- 27% reduction in net energy compared to 2019 baseline
- 17% reduction in gross energy import from the grid.
View Council's Energy Sustainability Plan(PDF, 2MB) .