Straying Livestock

Straying stock can be a problem in rural areas, especially if the owners are not living where the animals are kept. 

Owners are required to keep fences maintained to stop their stock straying onto neighbouring properties or public land (such as roads).

If stock are straying on the road, police should be contacted immediately to avoid a traffic incident.

Council Rangers can also assist with containing stock straying on public land. They may impound or secure the animals until the owner can be located.

Stock straying from a private property onto another private property is a civil matter, and is not handled by Council.