Building Information Certificate

When to apply for a Building Information Certificate?

A Building Information Certificate is usually needed by buyers or sellers of property before settlement to make sure that what is being bought or sold is not going to be the subject of action by the Council.  It is also commonly applied for when work is undertaken without the appropriate approvals issued or were required inspections by the building's certifier have been missed.

Application requirements

Different documents must be submitted with your application depending on the type of Building Information Certificate you are applying for.

All submissions must include certification of installation of smoke alarms.

For properties with unauthorised works, applicants will need to submit:

  • An original certified copy of a current Identification Survey Certificate
  • An explanation from the property owner as to why the works were completed without appropriate approval
  • A full set of construction plans indicating the pre-existing site/works and unauthorised works
  • Payment of the Development Application, Complying Development and/or Construction Certificate fees, as per the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000.

Once you have gathered and registered the required documents, you will be able to apply for a Building Information Certificate online. A fee is payable upon application.

Applications for a Building Information Certificate is now through the NSW Government Planning Portal. To assist with Development Applications the Portal have compiled a collection of resources which can be found via the NSW Government Planning Portal.

Once the application has been submitted, you will be contacted by Council staff to progress your application.

For further information please contact Council’s Environment and Planning Department on 02 6895 1950.