Weeds cause significant damage to our unique environment and it is up to all of us to help control them.  

What is a weed?

A weed is a plant that is growing out of its place. There are two main kinds of weeds;

  • Noxious weeds that are listed in the NSW Biosecurity Act 2005. Examples include parthenium weed, hudson pear and silverleaf nightshade. 
  • Environmental weeds that are not listed as priority but that readily spread throughout gardens and bushland. 

Why control weeds?

Weeds can rapidly spread throughout gardens and bushland, competing with native bushland or plants we want in our gardens. It can lead to the loss of native plants and animals, reduced water quality and reduced biodiversity.

The NSW Biosecurity Act 2005 requires the management of priority weeds to ensure that people, livestock, our gardens and our bushland are protected from these weeds.

Who is responsible for controlling weeds?

The Act requires that an occupier of land must manage the noxious weeds on that land. Occupier includes the owner, resident, tenant or lessee.

Public authorities and local control authorities manage priority weeds on land they occupy.

The Act requires Council, as the local control authority, to implement the requirements of the Act.

The Central West Regional Strategic Weed Management Plan(PDF, 6MB)  outlines how government, industry and the community will share responsibility and work together to identify, minimise, respond to, and manage weeds. It relates to all lands and waters in the Central West Local Land Services region of NSW. It focuses on managing weeds that impact:

  • Animal and plant industries, including agriculture, horticulture, forestry, aquaculture and recreational and commercial fishing in freshwater systems
  • Ecological communities and biodiversity, including natural urban and peri-urban environments
  • Human health, livelihood, lifestyle, cultural values, recreation and landscape amenity
  • Infrastructure and service industries, including energy, transport and water supplies.

The Plan sets the vision and goals for weed management in the Central West, and outlines strategies and actions to achieve outcomes based on principles of shared responsibility, sustainable landscapes, collaborative leadership and innovation.

How does Council control weeds on private property?

It is Council's responsibility to make sure land occupiers are controlling any priority weeds that are on their property. Council tries very hard to do this in cooperation with the occupier.

The process begins with an inspection of the property. Council officers will in most cases advise of an inspection and they will always carry appropriate identification.

If priority weeds are found you will receive an information package identifying the weed, its location and the best control methods. In the vast majority of cases residents are pleased to know about the weeds and grateful for the help removing them.

If an occupier does not cooperate in removing the weeds, Council may need to take action, this can include fines to the owner/occupier with additional costs for weed removal.

For further information phone Council on 02 6895 1900 or email council@lachlan.nsw.gov.au 

How can I control weeds in my garden?

Step One: Do not plant weeds in the first place. Use local native or non-invasive plants.

Step two: Stop the weeds from flowering, fruiting and spreading. This can involve the removal of fruit and the cutting of vines from trees and fences. Make sure green waste from your garden is not thrown into bushland or drains.

Step three: The ultimate solution is to remove the weeds altogether. This will often involve manual and chemical treatment of the plants.

What are the best weed control methods?

Here are some common demonstrated methods of treating priority and environmental weeds. Note that some of the treatment methods are more suitable for one type of weed than another and they often require repeated treatment to achieve complete removal. Brochures are available from the Australian Association of Bush Regenerators website or Department of Primary Industries website. 


Do I need to be careful when using herbicides?

Yes. Always follow the directions on the label and the associated Materials Safety Data Sheet. For more information see the Department of Primary Industry website.  




For further information please contact Council’s Environment, Tourism and Economic Development Department on 02 6895 1950.