Report Illegal Dumping
What is illegal dumping?
Illegal dumping is the unlawful deposition of waste onto land where no license or approval exists.
This activity can result in high remediation costs for the landowner, lower property prices and in a worst case scenario, environmental contamination of the land that could prohibit any further development of the property.
Residents should be mindful that the illegal dumping of unwanted household goods and rubbish on roadsides is unsightly, a risk to the environment and human health and results in high clean-up costs encountered by Council which can often not be recovered.
Illegal dumping action
Lachlan Shire Council is continuiously working in collaboration with officers from the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) in an effort to address the illegal dumping issue.
Investigations into illegal dumping will collect critical information to add to base data collected by Council that will be used to develop long-term strategies to minimise and prevent illegal dumping.
RID (Report Illegal Dumping) Online
If you spot illegal dumping in NSW such as; used household items, old tyres, green waste or construction waste e.g. bricks and timber, you can report it here.
Avoiding the dangers of accepting fill on your land
Accepting fill onto your land without the necessary approvals in place can result in penalties of up to $1 million for individuals and $5 million for corporations.
- Check if filling is permitted, and what Council approvals are required
- Check the credentials of anyone who offers you free or cheap fill
- Never accept fill from unknown sources
- Ask the supplier to prove that the fill isn’t contaminated
- Supervise and inspect all loads of incoming fill
- Record details of all transporters bringing fill onto your property
- Keep copies of all documents and records.
What if I witness illegal dumping
The following is a list of information that may enable Council to investigate illegal dumping occurrences and prosecute offenders:
- Approximate location of illegal dumping
- Description of waste
- Number plate/description of vehicle
- Description of offenders
- Photographs of illegal dumping taking place.
A description of any personal items that may contain the offender’s details, receipts, bills, etc. (do not remove any items from the dump site)
All illegal dumping incidents should be reported to Council on 02 6895 1950 or email firstname.lastname@example.org