Emergency Support & Flood Information
Natural Disaster AssistanceFlood Recovery Assistance
As a result of the recent heavy rains and flooding, Lachlan Shire and other parts of the Central West have been declared a Natural Disaster Area.
If you have been affected by the recent flooding, you may want to investigate some of the services and assistance that have been made available, including:
- mental health and crisis support
- housing assistance
- replacing certificates and licenses
- assistance with livestock and animals
- household support
- insurance inquiries
- legal assistance.
You can find details on the Emergency NSW website at www.emergency.nsw.gov.au. There’s a dedicated ‘Western NSW / Forbes flooding – 2016’ page in the ‘For the Community’ section.
Or call the Disaster Assistance help line on 1800 018 444.
Disaster Recovery Assistance
Assistance is also being provided through the jointly-funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).
Assistance under the NDRRA includes:
- help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged
- concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and not-for-profit organisations
- freight subsidies for primary producers
- grants to not-for-profit organisations.
Assistance for Primary Producers
NSW Department of Primary Industries (NSW DPI) and Local Land Services (LLS) co-ordinate and provide recovery assistance and advice to landholders, primary producers, commercial fishers and other industries.
You can find details on the Department of Primary Industries website at www.dpi.nsw.gov.au in the Climate and Emergencies section.
Rural Women’s Network (RWN)
The RWN also provides links to support services and help lines. For details, go to www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/rwn or call 6391 3620.
Other Useful Contacts
Rural Adversity Mental Health Program: www.ramhp.com.au or call 6363 8444
Australian Red Cross: www.redcross.org.au/recover
Rural Assistance Authority: www.www.raa.nsw.gov.au or call 1800 678 593
In the event of an emergency, please dial 000 as per normal protocol.
For emergency assistance or enquiries regarding possible flooding please call SES on 132 500.
Information can also be found on Council's Facebook page, at https://www.facebook.com/LachlanShireCouncil
For the latest river heights click hereFor the latest flood warnings click here
Keeping Flood Safe
Mosquito Alert information
Food Safety information for Food Premises
In areas that could be affected by flood:
- Plan to remove or store food well above flood levels;
- You must not sell food that is unsafe or unsuitable;
- Use only potable water for activities on the food premises;
- Salvaging canned goods for resale is not allowed in food businesses;
- All spoiled and flood-affected foodstuffs will be required to be discarded.
- A mandatory inspection of the premises by Council is required prior to any flood-affected business reopening.
To make an inspection booking, please contact Council on (02) 6895 1900